Way With Words Recruitment Process

Way With Words tough recruitment processTranscription Recruitment

WAY WITH WORDS TRANSCRIPTION

It has to be said that our recruitment process at Way With Words is by far the toughest out there. We are often mentioned on forums with regard to the degree of difficulty of our transcriber testing and training process. Here we take a look at why this is the case.

Yes, our recruitment and training process is tough. Through forums and correspondence with our applicants, we’ve had comments that our testing process is complicated, lengthy and very difficult! We know this is true.

So then, why are we so tough? Because only the best of the best get through our recruitment process, and these fantastic transcribers are transcribing for Way With Words!

What does our recruitment process entail?

1.       SCREENING

The screening process is the initial test to see if applicants have the English language skills we require. If they pass they move on to the next phase. If they fail, they are not permitted to continue with the application.

• An online application – a basic amount of personal information is required as part of our registration process.
  • A 2-part language test which comprises of 50 questions in total.
  • A 4 minute transcription test.

2.       2nd PHASE ASSESSMENT

Again, if this test is failed, the applicant may not proceed any further.

• A 7 minute transcription test which is significantly more difficult than the screening transcription test.

3.       FINAL ASSESSMENT PHASE

At this point, applicants will be provided with our Style Guide. Again, applicants will not be allowed to proceed if they fail ANY of the 4 transcription tests in this phase.

• A set of 4 further transcription tests – 10, 20, 15, and 12 minutes respectively – comprising a total of 57 minutes.

If the applicant passes all 4 of these tests, a contract is issued and they can start claiming live work and earning an income.

In the 3 assessment phases above, applicants will be assessed on transcribing a total of 68 minutes of difficult transcription. The reality of the transcription industry is that we receive difficult audio files from clients. This is one of the reasons we make our recruitment process so hard.

4.       LIVE WORK PHASE

The first live document that an applicant transcribes will be thoroughly checked by a Training Administrator to ensure they meet all Way With Words’ requirements.

Thereafter, we will do random QC checks.

So, to sum it up, here’s what we require:

• A challenging language test
  • 68 minutes of audio files transcribed (in various formats)
  • All documents are checked very thoroughly and an applicant must pass every single one of them.

However, we don’t require a speed typing test and we welcome applicants who don’t have previous experience.

At Way With Words we place enormous emphasis on language and hearing capabilities, as opposed to speed typing. Of course speed is important, but an understanding of language and its nuances will always come first.

Our recruitment philosophy is very simple: if you have what it takes to get through our assessment process, you are good enough – end of story!

Our business is about quality, and we live by this, from our recruitment process all the way through to the transcripts delivered to our clients. With this in mind, our recruitment process is designed to be tough! The truth is, we would not be where we are today if we hadn’t placed so much emphasis on getting, and keeping, the best transcribers out there.

21 comments on “Way With Words Recruitment Process”

1. Fabio Bonafede says:

considering the market these days, any job that actually pays on time is a bonus! unemployed for months now but with good skills in language. Sadly does not seem to get me far.

2. Mary Anne says:

I have applied twice over the last two years and despite being accepted to work at 3 transcription companies – all in different countries, Way With Words has failed me both times. You are the hardest company to possibly get to work. Either you have some incredibly difficult clients or you are patheticaly over arrogant about your view of the perfect transcriber! Would suggest anyone wanting to join should be a professer of English!

1. Administrator says:

Hi Mary Anne,
      We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t make it. Our recruitment process is incredibly tough – definitely the toughest out there. We have huge global clients and the reality of transcribing is that we get some really difficult audio files to transcribe, which is why we have a stringent recruitment process. We realise that it’s tough and can be difficult, but our tests will remain stringent to ensure we can service our clients no matter what type of file they present to us. Good luck!

3. Gillian says:

Mary we can see why LOL! Do not give up!

4. Ben Hudson says:

Ditto for Mary. Thanks goodness for so many transcribers who really think they are good and clients get a raw deal in the end. Take time to find the right crew. Works for my wife’s virtual office business.

1. Administrator says:

Hi Ben…you are so right! The transcribers have to be brilliant so that our clients get a job that they’re really happy with.

5. bernhard says:

here, here! ha ha. Funny though how many companies are garage cooked businesses. Whoa to the client who knows not what they are handing their info to.

6. Anne Shaw says:

There are certain qualities which are required to be a good transcriber. If someone posses those then definitely perform better and can satisfy the client.

7. Deliah Dunn says:

What a lovely web blog page. I will be back. I agree, one of the hardest jobs if you dont love language, thankfully I do.

1. Administrator says:

Thanks Deliah

8. Indira says:

Have you ever thought about publishing an ebook or guest authoring on other blogs? I have a blog based on the same idea but it shard to find good people to write.

1. Admin says:

ADMIN: Thank you for you suggestion Indira. We certainly appreciate these thoughts. As an emerging international brand we are and need to be careful to ensure relevance and value of our blog to our client and transcriber audience. These are “our” stories so when we do look at special topics in the future we will certainly look for expert opinion.

We wish you well with your blog.

9. Celinda says:

Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites I stumble upon every day. It will always be useful to read through content from other writers and practice something from their websites.

10. S Farley says:

I think that everything posted made a ton of sense. However, what about this? suppose you wrote a catchier title?

I ain’t saying your information is not solid, but suppose you added a post title that grabbed a person’s attention?
    I mean Toughest Transcriber Job On The block! is a little boring? You could peek at Yahoo’s front page and note how they create post headlines to grab viewers to open the links. You might try adding a video or a picture or two to get readers excited about everything I’ve written. Just my opinion, it would make your posts a little livelier.

1. Administrator says:

Hi, thanks for your comments. We are in the process of creating exciting stuff for all our communications channels. Keep reading over the next couple of months and let us know when you see the changes and how you feel about them.
      Thanks again for the tip!

11. Verona W says:

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve visited this website before but after looking at some of the articles I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely delighted I came across it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back
    often!

1. Administrator says:

Thanks Verona…glad you like it!

12. Chris Jacobs says:

Well I feel honoured that I was accepted to work for such an incredibly amazing company who have supported me through this journey. I could not even type when I started. I have learnt a zillion things in the last five years. The fact that they are perfectionists is what makes their transcribers strive to do their utmost to give in perfect work. Without that there would be no pride in producing your best!

1. Administrator says:

And so you should Chris! Thank you for your kind words!

13. Linda Cumming says:

Hi there Lucky Ones who’ve passed the test. Help please… I sailed through all the grammar, as I love that, but got bombed on the audio clips, two of which were totally inaudible. I’ve downloaded Transcribe Express but am not sure I’ll be able to copy into Express, in order to slow them down. Would love some advice please and thank you.
    I have to pass this time.